Friday 13 July 2012

A Place to Start

I remember the days when I desperately wanted to make some changes in my life and I would try to do something and at times even succeed in my attempts. But to be honest, I was so confused about who I was, where I was going and what I really wanted (mostly because I was so toxic) that I never knew where to start.

And this starting point was confusing me even more! Perhaps it is only me who feels this way, but my guess is that there are at least a few others out there who are finding themselves at a stand still in life, diet, exercise, business, work and relationships with not knowing how or where to start making changes in their lives.

This is a point that held me up for far too long and in some ways still does with other things I would like to do and accomplish with my time. Just where is the best place to start and how do we go about that?

One approach that has worked for me in the past is to go about making changes the way I would write a paper for school for instance. I would start out by writing down some main ideas around my theme and from there work these ideas into larger paragraphs which ultimately would become the essay. In this way, you could begin with some smaller point, make some changes and work your way up to bigger transformation related to the minor one. 

Another approach that I often use is to say these words to myself- 'start where you are at, with what you have got'. Because let's face it, in the beginning we are not going to have all of the tools, materials, ingredients etc. that we would like to have to accomplish our goals.

The next step is to make it perfectly clear the area or thing or issue you would like to change and create in your life so that you are certain of the changes you need to make in order to achieve these goals.  And to be perfectly straight with you here - this is where we must keep it simple. 

When we allow something, especially fundamental life adjustments such as with diet and exercise to become complicated we are not going to follow through with it or even stick with a different protocol for very long.

Keeping it simple does not mean that your life will not change in a dramatic way however, it only means that you are approaching each area in the most straightforward manner possible. Simple changes will have dramatic results.

Going back quite a few years now, I remember my first thoughts around these changes that I knew I had to make - and the only thing that was absolutely clear to me at that time and even now, is that I was the one who had to change. I could not change others, I could not take on that responsibility besides, this was my life and my focus needed to be on myself.

So start where you are at (home, work?) with what you have got (15 minutes break, two good legs) and get outside for a quick walk - open your mind to the possibilities! Then take it from there.

Have a great day,

April



Roses in the garden

No comments:

Post a Comment